Sunday, March 23, 2003



The backlash has begun

By now I expect everyone will have read that the attack on US soldiers at a base in Kuwait was committed by an American soldier - and that according to initial reports, that soldier is a Muslim.

Predictably, the backlash has already begun:

I'm angry right now, and I may regret these words. But, I think it is entirely reasonable for Americans to suspect the loyalty of American Muslims. There is substantial evidence that their allegiances lie not with their country, but with their god.

There's more, and it's ugly, and pretty much what I expected from a country whose President encourages pogroms against Mexican-Americans and justifies his attack on Iraq with reference to 9/11. When tarring people with the same brush is official government policy, then its going to be difficult to discourage people from doing likewise.

0 comments: